Friday, March 16, 2012

Don't Do What They Do

While driving to work this morning, I reached a merge in the highway where the other oncoming traffic was directed to yield. The other driver, in her own world, continued to drive even as I came into the lane.  I heard the words, "Even if they don't yield, YOU yield."  Why, I have the right of way?  I wanted to yell at her and wring my fist in the air.  I don’t know if it would have done any good since she wasn’t paying the least bit of attention to me.  Though the situation put a wrinkle in my forehead, I just let it go and drove on to work.

As I pulled into the parking lot, I still heard those words. “Even if they don’t yield, you yield.”  What does that mean?  Let them run into me?  Stop every time I get to that merge?  What?  Anyway.  I decided that since I had only 3 minutes to clock in, I’d better get inside.  “Thank You Jesus, I could have been hurt or worse.”  Again I heard, “Even if they don’t yield, YOU yield.  Don’t be like them.”

 What does yield mean? Merriman Webster offers one definition of yield as "to surrender or submit (oneself) to another."  I had to surrender the right to go first for my safety, the other driver’s safety, and for those coming afterward.  The same thing applies in our daily walk with Christ.  Even though there are signs and common sense instructions within us all, we STILL have to yield to God.  We have to yield to him for ourselves and for each other.  We are to treat each other with respect and dignity, even if the other person doesn’t return the same.  Even though we want to act how our flesh tells us to and opposite of what our heart tells us.  Romans 7:18 states " For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not." Ask God to help you to learn to do this so that you can develop to the point where it wouldn't affect you the next time.  After all, we seek to be more like Him, right?  His way always is the right way!


  My prayer today is that first, God forgives me for entertaining what my flesh desired, and second, that this note will cause someone to think about the consequences of their actions before they react.  Don't do what the world would have you to do.  Be different.  I love you all. Be blessed.

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I want to thank you so much for sharing this blog. It truly ministered to me this afternoon. You yield, even if they don't yield. When I read it, something in me quickened. I will definitely be following your blog to read what the Lord has given you for such a time as this. Treva, this was beautifully written and so God-Inspired! Wow!!

    ReplyDelete