Friday, March 16, 2012

Which Are You?

Good Afternoon,

  While sitting at my desk today, a scripture dropped into my spirit.

Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed.  The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. James 5:16

The first thing that popped into my mind was "Okay Lord, what are You trying to tell me?" One thing I have learned is that when something burns into your mind or into your lap, you don't ignore it.  So, as usual, I had to get the dictionary to break down the words in the scripture.  Even though I have two Bachelor of Arts degrees, I still don't have a clue as to what some words mean. I thought to myself "Okay, look up effectual, fervent, righteous, and availeth." As I began to read, my feet began to hurt.
  Webster's definition of effectual is "producing or able to produce a desired effect" and some synonyms were "effective, fruitful, and potent." Antonyms? Fruitless. Useless. Ouch. The definition of fervent is "very hot, exhibiting or marked by great intensity. Zealous." Synonyms were "blazing, burning, intense, and passionate." Antonyms? Cold. Emotionless. Ouch. Next up, righteousness. Definition is "acting in accord with divine or moral law: free from guilt or sin." Synonyms are "just, upright, virtuous." Antonyms? Immoral. Wicked. Wrong. Ouch again. By the time I reached the last word, not only were my toes hurting, but so were my feelings. The key word in availeth is avail and  in this text is used as a transitive verb. The definition of avail is "to produce or result in as a benefit or advantage" with synonyms being "benefit, profit." Near antonyms? One stuck out like a sore thumb; HINDER. Right along there, I began to experience a gut-check from the Lord himself. "Which one are you, Treva? Now that you have broken the word down and you have a better discernment, where are you? Where do you stand? What does that say about your prayer life, and what are you going to do about it?" AWWWW-CH (country version of ouch), yes Lord, I hear and heard that!
  After picking myself up off the floor, I took stock of the revelation. If you have a passionate, intense, burning and heartfelt approach and you are in right standing with God (at peace, yesterday's message), then your prayers will be profitable, potent, and fruitful.  If you have a lukewarm, cold even, emotionless approach and are not in an upright standing, then your prayers are useless and won't benefit you or anyone else for that matter. WOW! That's deep! I had to apply it to me first, and I thank Jesus for that toe-crunching, chin check that He just dealt. Brothers and Sisters, we have to get ourselves in order with the Word so that we can see the fruit of our prayers. If you've been praying and believing God for some things and you don't seem to see any evidence of your prayers, check yourself and your approach. I'm going to work on mine. I love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment